The future! That vast sea of the unknown, which holds joy or terror, comfort of pain, love or loneliness. Who truly knows what is to come? Some people fear the days to come because they are not sure what’s next; some are wondering what evils lurk in the shadows; others consult seers and future-telling charlatans, trying desperately to discover its secrets. My brother, my sister, tomorrow’s story is known only to God. When He wills, He reveals one or two chapters of the future to His messengers.
Our churches are now filled with ‘prophets’… and believers are running behind them to try and know what the future holds for them. My friend, the Bible shows us that a prophet’s primary task was to proclaim the Word of the Lord, pointing out sin, explaining its consequences and calling men and women to repentance and obedience. Today’s ‘prophets’ proclaim only good things to people… Elijah, Elisha, Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezekiel, Hosea and Amos as well as many others who faithfully delivered God’s message despite rejection, ridicule and persecution because at times, they were given prophetic vision foretelling coming events that people did not want to hear.
Nowadays, many believers want to hear from God… and all they want to hear about their future is: they will be prosperous, they will be healed or delivered, they will find love, God will use them… but as soon as they hear what God also says about His expectations before His promises are fulfilled, they either leave the church for a ‘better one’, become sad or discouraged (Matthew 19:16-24) or start doubting their faith in Christ. My friend, the Bible tells us this: “The secret things belong to the Lord our God, but the things revealed belong to us and to our children forever, that we may follow all the words of this law” (Deuteronomy 29:29). So, in fact, the revelation you receive should urge you to live by God’s Word… Yet, how many believers heard a prophet giving them a prophetic message but folded arms to wait? But the Bible says that “the revelation awaits an appointed time; it speaks of the end and will not prove false. Though it linger, wait for it; it will certainly come and will not delay” (Habakkuk 2:3). My friends, in the meantime, while waiting for the fulfillment of the prophecy of God, we sometimes need to get prepared. HOW?
– We must repent of the sins and iniquities that the Lord reveals to us that are blocking His blessings in our lives: “Give careful thought to your ways” (Haggai 1:5-7). We must acknowledge our sins and repent of them and receive God’s forgiveness. We must not harden our hearts or justify our wrongdoings or give excuses for our behaviour. The Lord has promised not to remember our sins anymore and we must accept His forgiveness and move ahead with our lives (Philippians 3:12-14).
– We must also recover all that we had lost due to our sins and failures. We must receive the joy of salvation once again in our lives. We must revive the gifts and talents that the Lord had given to us to serve Him and glorify Him. We must not remain passive and continue to remain idle and fail to ultilise the opportunites that the Lord has given to us to live a fruitful life (Psalm 51:12).
– We must rearrange our lifestyle to be more efficent and effective in serving the Lord. We must give up those practices which are hindering us from being the best that we can be (Exodus 18:12-26).
– We must renew our strength by waiting in the presence of God. We must not continue to operate with a depleted energy and weakened strength. We must take time away from our routine daily tasks that drain our strength and leaves us weary and tired (Isaiah 40:29-31).
– We must rejoice in the Lord and look forward to the future. We must not continue to be filled with regret and shame for past failures. We must forget the past and rejoice in the mercy of God who gives us a new opportunity or a new start in life. We must look forward to the future with a positive attitude of hope and expectation and receive all the blessings that the Lord has in store for us (Psalm 13:5-6).
My friend, knowing your future will never change your circumstances or open the heavens over your head. Knowing Jesus and applying His teachings will. Start preparing yourself today TO receive from Him… Our Lord has control of the time and circumstances; trust in His sovereignty in your life. Stay blessed in Jesus’ name.